Monday, December 28, 2009

My long weekend over, back to work tomorrow. I look forward to seeing my friends.

Tried to deal with prescriptions today and tests. I need to change over to Aromasin from Femara, and have to have the doctor send in the prescription. Can't ever reach the actual person you want to talk to. And I was supposed to have some kind of scan (PET) before I see the doc in January. But I can't afford another PET, so asked if I should have the PET at the end of this year instead, since my deductible is already paid. Well, no, let's do a CT scan of your lungs. Okay I say, but can we find out how much that will cost me? I'd like to do it before the end of the year if I can. I mean, what's the difference between a test on December 30th and a test on January 8th?

Oh, well, I'll transfer you to ........ she says, so I say okay, and off I go and I leave my message and then wait all day with my cell phone in my pocket. And of course, nothing.

If I can't get this test done before year end, or for really cheap at the start of the year, I'm waiting til July when I can change the deductible I selected.

Then she tells me about someone, a friend's relative. He had everything, then lost it all, his job, health insurance, and he breaks his ankle or leg, but decides to tough it out because of the lack of insurance. He gets a blood clot that goes to his heart, and now he's on machines, waiting for his children to get here to see him one last time, even though he is already gone. He was 43. He died because he didn't have health insurance and didn't want to incur the cost while he was going through a tough time.

That's just insane.

But here I am, delaying a test for 6 months because I can't afford to pay another $2k all at once.

These decisions are difficult. I am weighing finances against health. What wins?

No comments:

Post a Comment