Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Track Coach

It is funny to me how some things have stuck in my head, since so many other events, moments, movies, etc., have just disappeared. 

So this morning, I get up thinking about this latest challenge with cancer, not freaked out or anything, it is just on my mind.  And then I remember something the track coach said once, back in high school. 

"Don't slow down when you see the finish line." 

I remember at the time marveling over that, turning it over in my mind, having a private little 'a-ha' moment at 15. 

I loved running the hurdles and was fairly good at it for a fat girl.  I liked the rythmn of it.  "Step-step-over, step-step-over". 

But I would slow down in that run between the last hurdle and the finish line.  I would see the finish line and think "Ahhhh, relief, I get to stop". 

So I imagine that I needed that little moment, that thought, this morning.  Just my brain and my soul trying to take care of me.

Keep running kid.  Jump the hurdles.  Don't slow don't when you see the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment